Parent Involvement Opportunities
Ways to Volunteer
- Classroom Volunteer – this an opportunity for parents to assist the classroom or the school. There is no commitment and the volunteering takes place once in a while. The only requirement is for parents to notify the teacher or the school 24 hours in advance.
- Field Trips – this opportunity takes place only during days when students attend field trips. Parents must sign in with the teacher when field trip information is sent home. Teacher will inform parent of availability to participate and volunteer.
- Permanent Volunteer/Overnight Field Trips – this opportunity takes place throughout the school year and parents volunteer permanently in the classroom or the school. The volunteer must be cleared by the District’s Human Resource department before being able to volunteer. The same requirement is mandated for volunteers assisting on any overnight field trips.
Other Ways to Get Involved
- School Site Council – a great way to get involved and be informed about the different aspects of the school community. 5 Parents function as voting members, but all are welcome to attend. One of the main responsibilities is to oversee SPSA and to have a Representative at the District Advisory Council.
- English Learner Advisory Council – another opportunity to assist the school and provide advice regarding and for our English Learners.
- School Smarts Parent Academy - a seven-session parent academy that educates and empowers parents. Topics include understanding the education system, communicating effectively, advocating for a quality education, and the importance of parent involvement.
- PTO – one of our parent organizations that encourages our parents to get involved by providing our students with different non-academic opportunities. The organization provides funding for different major projects, school field trips, and supplemental classroom and school materials. Meetings take place periodically throughout the month.
- Birney Dad’s Club – another parent organization that supports the academic and social needs of our students. The organization provides scholarships for Birney Alumni attending college, funds different events and school programs, and sponsors many different activities school wide. All are welcome and is not limited to just dads. Meetings are the third Thursday of the month, at 5:00 pm.
- School Wide Activities – this includes all school wide activities like Back to School Night, Parent Conferences, Parent Workshops, Open House, etc.